[Reprinted from Fall 2000 SOA Newsletter]
Marilyn LeDoux uses her base mix for Phragmipediums with additions
* 9 quarts fine bark (Sequoia).
* 3 quarts perlite or sponge rock.
* 3 quarts fine to extra fine charcoal (#3 or #4)
* 3 quarts fluffed Canadian peat or Pro-Mix HP (or similar peat-based mix).
* 1/ 2 cup bone meal.
For Phrag (Mexipedium) xerophyticum, I add to the above formula:
* 1/4 cup dolomitic lime.
* 1/4 more charcoal for good drainage to any size part of this mix separated out. For example, for two cups of the above mix, I add cup or more of extra fine charcoal.
“ I never use rockwool in my xerophyticum mix.”
By Marilyn LeDoux, Windy Hill Gardens, Labadie, MO